Wednesday, December 5, 2012

ABC

Yesterday, I had an awesome experience. I was contacted a few weeks ago by a professor at BYU to come and be a guest speaker in a recreation management classroom. In the email, he mentioned I was a "distinguished graduate of the program." I have been looking forward to this since then. Yesterday the day arrived. I got to campus early to make sure that I got parking and to class on time. I pulled into the lot they told us to park in, and there was no parking. I circled the lot for about 25 minutes. At this point, I was starting to panic as I was late. Luckily, I found a parking spot close at that point. I ran to the classroom and made my way down the long set of stairs of the auditorium to my seat at the front.

Once I sat down, the fun part began. There were 3 of us presenting to this class. The class we were presenting to was not a class that I took as it's a part of the new program they are implementing being part of the business school. This was an intro to the major class that introduces you to everything that is recreation management. The three of us were there to tell our backgrounds, what we do now, how we got into the major, what we would have done differently in school and other such things. My favorite question to answer was what would I have done differently in school. The other two girls talked about how they would have volunteered or worked more. When I got up, I said that was the one thing I didn't regret as I had worked almost 40 hours a week while going through the major and had as volunteered a lot. I wish I had paid more attention in classes that I didn't think I had needed to know, like finance or commercial business. Now this is where it got funny, the professor teaching this class and leading the discussion happens to be the same professor who I took commercial recreation from 4 years ago. At this point he butted in and said "Oh you mean like that one time you told me that you would never need to know any of the information I was teaching in my class?" The class was laughing so hard as I explained that I had in fact told him I would never need to know that information because I was always going to work in community recreation. They laughed even harder because I now work in commercial recreation. Oh the irony.

After we got through the questions, it was opened up for classroom questions. It was fun to hear the questions from students and remember where I was just a few years ago. After class ended the professor and another took the three of us to lunch at Brick Oven. I realized again that I don't love Brick Oven, but it was a good lunch. They brought the new curriculum over to get our opinions on it. It was a fun discussion and great to see the direction that my program is going. They really appreciated our comments and took notice on the few suggestions I had to change it. All in all, it was a great experience and so much fun to still be apart of my alma mater. I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment