Tuesday, November 13, 2012

In The Still Of The Night

Normally I despise snow. Normally I can't stand the stuff. I like to visit snow. I don't like to live in snow. The past two years, Utah has had mild winters. They have been cold, but there hasn't been snow in any major quantities. That all changed on Friday. Friday it started. It came down in large amounts. I left for work around 3 wearing my winter coat for the first time in years. I was unhappy about this fact. The snow came down the entire time I was at work. When I came out of work around midnight, I almost didn't recognize my car. I was NOT happy. I made my way to the white lump and brushed the snow off. As I drove home, I tried to count my blessings to improve my mood. I came up with being grateful that I had an under ground garage to park in. Now this weekend is my worst weekend work wise. I run a training meeting at 7am on Saturday. So after working till midnight, I came home to get some sleep and was back out the door by 6:45am.

As I got to my car, I discovered another reason to be grateful. Our apartment complex a heated ramp. I got into the car and made my way up the ramp easily. Then I got to the road. There were cars coming so I had to stop. As I started to go, my tires started spinning. I was not moving. The ramp is heated, however the sidewalk and the driveway leading to the street were not. They were covered in snow. I starting having a moment of freak out. Then I tried reversing. Luckily that worked. I was able to reverse and get some momentum and make it onto the road. I felt like I was 16 and learning how to drive again. The roads were so bad. I made it to work with no issue and had a successful meeting.

Heading back home was much easier I made it and settled in for a winter nap. Unfortunately I couldn't hibernate for all of winter. I got back up and headed back to work for the night. Around midnight, I got to my car. Again, it was covered in snow, and the snow was still coming. After scrapping off the car grumbling to myself the whole time, I started the drive home. It was tough again as the road was just getting coated with snow.

I was sitting there bracing myself for the long winter this is going to be, when I stepped outside myself. I looked outside and realized how gorgeous it was. The sky turns a purple hue the makes it looks slightly light. The snow makes everything look pretty, even if it sometimes isn't so pretty. I got caught up in the beauty of it. Driving in the snow, watching it gently fall to the earth, I realized this is just another way that The Lord shows His love for us. Through the snow this night I had a tender mercy. The Lord reminded me of His Love for me and how much He cares for me. So the snow and I are no longer enemies. We have made peace. I'm sure there will be points where snow and I are fighting. But overall I can appreciate snow on a new level.

When I got home, I took a couple of pictures. They don't show the beauty quite as well as it looked that night, but I'll keep trying for a better shot next time it snows.

1 comment: